EPA recently published their FY 2015 progress report showing all the UST work done from October 1, 2014 to September 30, 2015 by states, territories and tribes. How did we do as a nation preventing and cleaning up leaking USTs?
During this time we:
- Completed cleanup of 9,869 leaking UST sites.
- Achieved a UST significant operational compliance or SOC rate of 72%. (Okay, we still can do better.)
- Decreased the number of newly confirmed releases to 6,830 (that’s 18 new leaky sites a day to put it in perspective.)
- Reducing percentage of leaking sites remaining to be cleaned up down to 13.6%.
- Completed 94,287 on-site inspections.
The UST nation, by the numbers during this time:
- 565,956 individual tanks at about 204,000 UST sites.
- 1,823,543 USTs closed.
- 528,521 releases reported. 84% have been cleaned up.